Let’s start with a confession: Cocktails are dicey. Sometimes they can be too sweet or too strong and sometimes, the flavors just don’t cut it! We understand. But cocktails can also be really fun! Good cocktails that hit just the right spot can take an evening from good to excellent.
Mind you, when we say cocktails, we aren’t talking about the simple (but still great) Mojito or Cosmopolitan. We’re talking about really mixing it up with unique flavor combinations that surprise you! We decided to put together an easy checklist of 5 tips that’ll help you choose a cocktail you will love!
1. Choose your spirit wisely: Whether you love a cocktail is primarily decided by two factors: the spirit and the flavors so it’s good to play safe with one and experiment with the other. So if you have a favorite gin or a go-to whiskey, choose that as your spirit. Different spirits are enhanced by different flavors, so this acts as a good first step to narrowing down the 128304099 flavor choices that you can experiment with.
Check out these spirit wise guides for cocktail mixers: Gin, Whiskey, Tequila, Vodka or Rum
2. Pick a palette: Now that you have your spirit base decided, let’s look at how you generally like to drink it. Do you like adding lemon flavors to it? Like lemon juice, lemon slices, sprite or 7 Up? Or do you like fruity flavors like cranberry, strawberries or guava? You could look back at classics - Mojito, Cosmopolitan, Mai Tai, Screwdriver - and understand what palette you enjoy and then find a new drink in the same family. But hey, don’t let us stop you from experimenting. If there’s a palette you’ve been wanting to try, now’s the time! (Spicy cocktails are such an incredible experiment!)
If you like citrusy drinks like Mojito, try a Smoked Pineapple & Basil cocktail but if you’re more likely to order a cosmopolitan, this Hibiscus & Lavender cocktail might be the right pick for you.
3. Know the occasion: When and why are you drinking? The occasion and mood greatly impacts how much you enjoy a drink! Is it a regular Saturday night at home? A weekend-unwinding session with your close friends? Well, then you might want a moderately strong drink you can slowly sip on, like this Spiced Rose cocktail that’s shaken with ice to create a beautifully complex drink. But what if it’s a full blown party, and you’re going all out (drink responsibly please!), then this Blue Pea & Mint might make for the ideal drink since it is diluted with ice and soda making it an easy drink. Remember, occasion impacts the strength of the drink you’d enjoy and that impacts the flavors you choose.
4. Ask around: Given that the options in the world of cocktails are endless, no one has tried it all. So why not share what we know! There are so many cocktail communities on social media but the best references come from your friends and family because they know what you like more than anyone on the internet. Having said that, you can also connect with us on social media at @Bartisans.in to see what’s new in the world of cocktails. Don’t be afraid to ask around when it comes to new experiments because you could learn from others mistakes but also share their triumphs!
5. Look at the price: Hey, experimenting and all is great but sometimes the most thought through experiments fail too. And then the pocket hurts! More often than not, wasted money on a bad cocktail leads us to not experiment further. So we suggest doing these trials at home. You can get a cocktail for less than INR 100 at home with our cocktail mixers. Each bottle makes 5-8 drinks approx. and can be paired with multiple different spirits so you can find the perfect drink for yourself!
Are you ready to try something new? Our newest drop, the Apple & Cinnamon cocktail mixer has quickly become a crowd favorite and if you’re feeling rather adventurous, go ahead and try our Saffron & Marigold cocktail mixer for an India inspired drink that’s sunshine in a glass!
Liked our tips? Subscribe to our newsletter here for more on the cocktail world!